Today on Twitter Mike from Spoke Apparel asked, “Can you customize the interface?”. This is a great question and one I took into account when I started this project. I wanted to give everyone the ability to make Goldsprints FX their own. You do not need to be a programmer to make customizations. I have done all the hard work for you. As I get ready to release the beta it is a good time to talk a little about what you can customize right now. So here we go.
Goldsprints FX is currently made up for three screens. They are the opening splash screen, the race screen, and the settings screen. Each of these screens have their own background image that is loaded when you launch Goldsprints FX. The background images are external to the application. You can customize the background screens by simply replace the default images that resides in the directory structure. Just remember to keep the image names the same. The are PNG images and sized to 800×600. Here are screen shots of the images as of today. Currently the race background and the setting background are the same image. Only the opening background image is different in this example but you can have three different images.
Below are the background images and how they look when they are loaded into Goldsprints FX. Now you can see the toolbar this time and a few other things showing up on each screen. A few things to note. The backgrounds on bar race visual and the speed line visual are transparent. So no matter what background image you use it will show through just a little for effect. On the settings screen the border on the panels is all slightly transparent.
Take a close look at the settings screen above and all the options that Goldsprints FX currently supports. They include the following.
- Racer box colors – This is main box color for each racer. The time area is set to a darker shade of this color setting.
- Racer box text colors – the text color of all the details that is shown inside the racer boxes.
- Roller Diameter – The size of your rollers.
- Roller circumference – Not editable but calculated from the roller diameter.
- Speed Chart Limit – This is the upper limit of how high the speed chart will show. You can adjust this based on how fast your riders are. It can also be adjusted between races if you like.
- Speed Display – Km or Miles and it updates the racer boxes with the correct labels.
- Reflection On/Off – This will display or hide the racer box reflections.
- Race Distance – This is how far race will be in kilometers.
Finally, everything that you see on the right side of the Settings screen will most likely not be visible for the beta version. It is just a way for me to see the data that is captured so I can make sure all is working as expected.
So there you have it. That is currently what can be customized in Goldsprints FX. Did anything come to mind that I need to add? Post a comment and let me know.
What Does the Future Hold?
Here are just a few things that I would like to make customizable in the future.
- Ability to select different Fonts
- Color and placement (top or bottom) of the toolbar
- Control to show and hide the current visual and new one in the future. Race bars, race speed lines, and hopefully a race clock-style display that has yet to be developed. The clock is my favorite so it is only a matter of time before it is added.
- Different layouts for the Race screen. Maybe the colored race boxes vertical down the left or right sides of the screen. This will be better for a clock style display.
- Adjustable button color
- Ability to load a video as the opening splash screen
- Ability to export the race statistics and view a past race in real time. Kind of like an instant replay.
- Display the top race time for the current event. This is a must. I just need to figure out where to display it.
One feature I am on the fence with is race management. I kind of like using a white board or paper and pencil for races. I might be the minority on this one, but I would be very interested to hear what you think about the race management built into the application. Please take a minute to answer this questions below.
Also, post a comment on what features you would like to see added in the future. I am all ears and the sky is the limit.